Hey, it’s been a little quiet here the past few days/week, what with work and I’ve been waiting for various items like conduit for the wiring and exhaust wrap, some little fixings from good old eBay, and oh I’ve revisited the brakes.
After speaking with a friend he suggested that they really shouldn’t be spongey and that I should redo them, so I did. Before I used the Eezibleed kit to do it myself, so although this got me started, evidently it didn’t get ‘all’ the air bubbles out. With the assistance of my wife and secondly a friend we set about bleeding the system the old fashioned way! While they manned the foot pedal, I was on the brake nipple. With all tube in place, crack open the nipple, depress the pedal, while the pedal is still at the bottom, close the nipple and release the pedal and repeat … and repeat! We did this for all four brakes lines and eventually after what was about an additional 2.5lts of brake fluid going through the system the brake pedal is now nice and firm, solid at the bottom, and it feels like it would stop if you ever really needed it too. One little job done (did you see what I did there … heading, clever huh, no, ok lets move on)!
Back to the wiring, the pilgrim module comes with a certain amount of conduit to cover the wiring, however if you’re like me and want it all covered and as neat as I can possibly get it, then you’ll soon run out of it. Hence having to get a load more of eBay and wait for it to arrive! Before this I decided the wiring job I wanted to tackle first was in the drivers footwell. Using conduit and loom tape (another eBay purchase) I was able to cover all the wiring and fix it to the chassis for what will be relatively easy access for later for the fuse boxes and relays. Once I’d positioned everything where I wanted it, I drilled the holes, purchased some little brackets (B&Q) so the fuse boxes were facing forward and mounted them along with the main set of relay switches on a metal bracket as the side of the bulkhead wasn’t 100% flat. The only real issue and slight annoyance was that one of the cables in the fuse boxes was a little tight and pulled out where I wanted it mounted, I only noticed this after I fixed most things, so I ended up mounting it slight at an angle. you see in the photo, but as this is in the footwell where lets face it NO ONE will see, I can live with that as It still easy access. With the remaining conduit I ran the wiring down the divings side to the rule tank and the first section of the engine bay. You will see I have decided to drill holes in the bottom of the frame to fix clips to that I can then attach the wiring conduit. I noticed on some cars they simply use cable ties to loop around the frame and fix them this way. I’d like if possible to keep everything as neat and tidy as I can.
Now the footwell is complete I can reposition the steering wheel back on the car and look at wiring that in. it looks like so much fun! But to be fair the wiring isn’t actually as horrible as I thought it first was going to be.
My Engine is finished 🙂 I had a phone call this week from Jim at JRV8 who is building my stage three 3.5lt RV8. It appears the engine is a feisty one with a lot of torque which I look forward to using. He did send me a photo, but I’m going to save putting them up until I have it here and I can share it with you all then. The gearbox is due in this week and then it can be packaged up and shipped, so its looking like I could have my engine within the next 2 weeks easy, lovely.
In preparation of this the last thing I had to do for the exhaust manifolds was to cover them in exhaust wrap, apparently this is part of the IVA so I thought I’d best get that sorted now, because once they are on, thats it. Easy enough job really, I brought 20m of basalt Titanium heat wrap (2 x 10m rolls) which come with steel cable ties and basically set about wrapping them. One tube at a time, and the forth one led into wrapping the entire lot.
I don’t think they look half bad. The steel cable ties were a bit of a mystery to me as to how on earth do you get them tight … you tube to the rescue, all you need to do, is hand tighten as best you can, then cut of the remaining length ensure you leave about an inch. Then using a pair of long nosed pliers, take hold of the end and twist them towards the clip in a rolling motion, as it gets to the clip it tightens into it and thats it. Easy really … when you know how!
So that’s a quick update on prepping all the little jobs I had left to finish. I still have the wiring in the engine bay to finish and a little bit to the rear of the car, but I’m waiting for a fuel sender to finished wiring that up. Until the engine arrives I am practically sat waiting for the next part to arrive. But once its here I will be back, what will most likely be towards the end of October, until then, stay frosty!