OK, so today was the toughest day on the build so far, for me anyway. I should point out, this is from my point of view, I know others on their build have done this easy, but for me this is my nemesis! The time had come to finally tackle the wiring on the steering rack for all the lights. It was a horrible task and one I’d not been looking forward too. From what took me most if not all of the day, a lot of oh fu** and head scratching/banging I can honestly say despite all the stress when you get into it and follow things methodically, it does actually all make sense.
Why oh why does electrics worry me so, when to others its so easy, no idea and I almost, almost gave up and called someone in to sort it! But after a quick chat to a fellow builder Nigel (Huge thanks) and a quick call to Pilgrim to ease my woes (and lets face, we never want to admit we need help) I was back on track … but what happened? and for anyone in my position I hope this will help shed a little light on what to do …
This is how I finally got around to it;
Firstly when you’re taking the steering column wiring apart, DON’T and by that I mean, actually use the existing connectors and just trim back the wire and connect it to the pilgrim loom. When you’ve laid the loom over the car there are basically 4 groups of wires that lay either side of the steering rack (convenient huh) these are what you’ll be using to connect everything up with. Then ignore the colours on the existing wiring and actually take off the plugs to reveal the pins behind, these will have a set of number/letters by them. I took a few photos and then drew up a diagram so I could easily refer to them. In the additional wiring loom instructions (there’s been improvements) basically match up the pilgrim colour wire within the correct group of wire (i.e. if the plug needs 4 wires, use the group with 4 wires in) to the correct pin number. You only have to trim the end of the existing wires as the pilgrim loom already comes with connections to slot into and crimp. Go through each terminal, one at a time, making sure to link the 4 pin terminal with the group of 4 wires on the correct side and so on, it really is as straight forward as that (weirdly) it just looks a lot scarier, to me anyway!
After writing it down and seeing how its done, it actually makes perfect sense and I can’t believe it took me all day and nearly broke me, but I pushed through and came out the other end! Of course once I test it and if it doesn’t work I’ll be throwing myself on the floor and having an tantrum like a 2yr old! But you’ll have to wait and see on that one!
These are photos of the steering rack wired up (not tidied up yet) and the pin diagram I drew, I’m not sure if these are all the same, but I’d guess not, so it would be worth doing the same to yours to check before connecting everything up.
And here are a couple of photos of the pins showing their references (excuse the dirt, I haven’t cleaned that area yet)
There you go, not a lot really, but I did tidy up the back end and connect all the earth wires to their points on the chassis. I’m missing a relay and fog controller so I can’t fully test the lights until I have these, which should be by Friday, that’s the next day I’ll be working on the car. Oh and my interior has arrived at Pilgrim HQ, so I’ll be picking up the last module then, I can’t wait to see it.
Oh I forgot to add, the other bits of wiring for the earth terminals and connecting up the washer motor. I had an additional wire in terminal 4 which was labelled ‘W’ this turned out to be an earth, which I connected to plug on the steering rack, basically above it and the second tab there I connect directly to the chassis. This should complete all the earth points I need. The Haynes manual for the donor car told me this and was a good reference to check the pin and colours on the existing loom, when connecting it all up. Yes I looked through the wiring diagrams with a blank look on my face for most of it, but eventually found the right diagram and the pin numbers I needed, all grouped together … Little bit at a time!
There is an additional sheet in the instructions regarding the washer motor as to what is connected where, I missed it, had a panic, spoke to pilgrim and then found it! I think my stress levels were running high at the time, hence missing the obvious right in front of you!
I also meant to add, along with the wiring I fitted the ducting for the mini-heater and demister vents. I ended up using long screws to go down through the body and into the plastic vents, pulling them tight into the underside of the body. I also used glue/sealant to seal it under the body. The ducting was then glued and held tightly in place with clips to the vents and the heater.