Happy Easter everyone, for me it became another day I was able to get a few things finished on the car, completion date is looming (I think) as is some exciting news regarding the car, which I will reveal nearer the time, perhaps next week!
On with the build, the main things I had planned to get done before I get back to work and loose a possible few weeks was the bulk of the interior. Today started off by finishing the seat belt fixings and fixing the seat to the floorpan.
The seat belts are straight forward, follow the instructions and they go together nice and easy, I’d already brought some 50mm square plates and pre-drilled all the holes, marked the carpet and put holes in that too. After the belts where fitted and it was time to finished the seats. I didn’t quite finish these the other day because the M8 bolts I had left were only 20mm which didn’t quite work out to be long enough, I could get them through but after tightening them up I couldn’t quite see 1-2 threads on the bolt, which I think is an IVA requirement, either way it left me feeling nervous so I managed to acquire some 30mm M8 bolts and after changing them, all was done and good, the runners are a little stiff, but seats are fixed and feel really comfortable.
As it was a lovely day, a big part of the day was also spent sorting out the garage again, everything was getting covered in fibreglass dust and muck, all sorts, the car was looking a state. So out it came in the sun, I gave it a quick clean and to my horror noticed quite a few little nicks and marks all over the body, I clearly wasn’t being as careful as I should be! The gelcoat does tend to mark easily and black shows it all! So there’s more work to be done on the body! But it did give me a good chance to have a proper look at the car out of the garage.
Once that was all done and another box and huge bag of rubbish and dust, all ready for the tip tomorrow it was time to check in on the wife to see how the dash was going along.
This was actually quite tricky, trying to get all of the creases out of dash was near on impossible or at least it was for us. I don’t know if it was the leather or how we were doing it, but clearly without proper tools and knowledge/skills etc this is a tricky task. The dash itself comes in two pieces which you have to cut out all the holes and put together, all straight forward. I put four bolts in the top, fixed with a nut the other side so that It can be position on the car easier once done and cover with the foam and leather you can’t see them. I also did this to the centre section, I wasn’t comfortable with the thought of holding it together with just glue, just make sure you grid the head bolts down a little so you don’t see bulges in the foam. We ended up using spray glue to fix the foam to the dash and pulling it around the edges and into the dial holes. This was then glued onto the back with either glue or tape. It takes a long time and finding the right glue makes a big difference. We found using a glue gun was much better and quicker way of fixing the leather or foam to the back.
You can see our first attempt wasn’t as successful as we’d have liked, the layout, dials and lights all fit in fine and look nice, but the wrinkles in the leather aren’t the best. Once we had the glue gun, and peeled it back off and tried again it did end up fixing a few of the wrinkles out and looks better now. I’ve not looked at the wiring for the dash yet, as I wanted to get it fixed to car first to make sure I had plenty of room etc, after a bit of trimming, cutting more fibreglass off the return where the dash sits it all sits in nicely.
Please note, after this dash I found out the the 12v wasn’t IVA friendly and I wasn’t happy with the first attempt to cover it. So it was redone and the 12v was actually positioned behind the dash on the passenger side. Easily accessible but hidden.
I honestly can’t wait to get a proper steering wheel on! The sierra one looks hideous! But its an IVA requirement it will have to do for now.
And that was about it for today, we had a small mother-in-law emergency so had to rush off to sort a light bulb! Anyway, looking ahead I still have the door mechanism to finish so I can finish off the door cards and properly close the doors. The gaiters around the hand break and gearnob need to be finished, all the wiring for the dash! Glove box, battery tray and finally theres the inner tunnel needs fibreglassing to seal of the cockpit area. Once that’s all complete I’ll need to get the car ready for its IVA inspection … quite scary how close the could be now, but I guess I’m still a little ways off, just because time is becoming less and less again with work.
Anyway, thats me for today, hope you like how the car’s coming along and looking now, signing out … J