My new love, Fibreglassing!

It’s been a very busy week, the hours I thought and planned had disappeared until yesterday, when I thought ok it was time to fit the rear inner and cockpit wings. They’re not a bad fit straight out of the bag, you have to do a little bit of trimming especially around the door, but otherwise you can pretty much see where they go and the manual tells you this anyway.

The rear wings once I’d trimmed where I needed, I riveted to the chassis to hold it in place where I could, the manual is slightly different as it shows rivets in different places which simply aren’t possible on the mkiii chassis. So choose a position and fit it on. Fairly straight forward fixing both sides and then the inner panels in the cockpit area are a simple fit, trim around the door for the door sill to fit flush too and then rivet to the chassis again. I also fixed this to the body where I could to extra strength.

I also used some contact glue just around the seal for good measure as you can see in the last pic, I used a couple of clamps to hold it tight. The next step is to fibreglass over the gaps to create a waterproof and secure cockpit and watertight boot space.

In practise this is actually quite a straight forward process … just a messy one! So cover what you don’t want plastered in resin! I don’t know if you need to but I glassed the outer edge and inner edges of the boot.

This shows the first coat of fibreglass going on, which will later receive a second coat and finally painted with underseal for added protection. Any extra little gaps will be filled with silkaflex prior to the carpet being fitted … yes I have my carpet now πŸ™‚

The inner cockpit area wings were much the same …

It doesn’t look pretty, but again this will be painted, holes sealed and finally covered with the carpet and seats etc. But all in all a successful job done, finally finishing at about 9.30pm … it was a late one.

Oh I nearly forgot, I also got around to fitting the door mechanism and handle. This was a little more fiddly as you have to cut another hole in the door for the latch to lock into etc. I used a piece of paper to draw a template so I knew where I had to drill the holes to bolt the latch to the inside of the door. Offered up the door hook I guess its called?!? and marked the position on the chassis. Drilled and bolted into place with a little bit of adjustment. Drivers side was almost a perfect fit, passengers needed a couple of washers to separate it from the body to lock properly.

I should also say I used my door cards to position the handles correctly so they come through the already pre-made holes. I’m not sure how I’m going to get this to work yet, but I’m they’ll be a way to do so.

That was it for now, onto painting and sealing the cockpit ready for carpeting etc πŸ™‚

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s